Dodge Repair/high RPM IDLE

Hi Roland,

I'm just following up on the high RPM idle.  Well I did the test and and nidle raised upabout half way, paused,  raised up almost all the way, paused. Then I turned it off.

It stopped raising once it warmed totally.  I think it may have something to do with the speed sensor since I noticed the milage numbers kept going up while the needle raised.  I actually sold it today but I'm still puzzed.  What do you think about the speed sensor?

I am confused. Initially you said the speedometer read high, then you said the needle went to 3500 rpm, so exactly which needle is not responding as it should?
What happens when you are simply driving the car? Does the rpm and the speedometer reading seem normal? If this is only a cold problem, I would forget for now. If there is a problem it will probably have logged a fault code in the memory of one of the modules (engine/trans/body).
I would get a fault code readout. Try turning the ignition key
"on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading change to show any 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you find. I would not change any parts without first doing a fault code readout. You have to identify what is the cause first.
If that doesn't produce a 4-digit number then go to a nationwide auto part store such as Autozone and get a free code readout using a plug-in reader. Or an independent shop will do a code readout for around $40.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).