Dodge Repair/'95 Ram 1500 shakes in overdrive

Question
Hello

I have a 95 ram 1500 and it starts shaking after I reach 45 mph until I shut off the over drive. Then the shaking stops. What can this be? I did have a small fender bender in the front end but it only bent the bumper. I have not done anything to the truck.

Thanks

Chris

Answer
Hi Chris,
I am not very knowledgeable about trucks from the '90's. When you say that it shakes when you reach 45 mph with the overdrive in use, does that mean that you don't have shaking at any speeds even up to say 65 or 70 as long as the 'overdrive' is not utilized? If so, it may either be an issue with the overdrive itself (which doesn't come into play until you get to 45 or so), or it could be that one of the engine/transmission 'mounts' is fatigued and that it becomes more noticeable because the engine is having to work harder in overdrive to keep the speed up to what you want it to be when in overdrive. So notice how much the engine block moves from side to side as you accelerate/decelerate it in neutral. It should be quite 'fixed' in its location rather than tilting back and forth. Probably a shop will need to road test it to experience the symptom.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston