Dodge Repair/1997 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 Electrical Issue

Question
Hey Roland,

For some reason I could not find the button to add a follow up to my previous questions. So if this is asked as a new question, i apologize.

I found the fault, the main power wire going from alternator to battery appeared to have overheated and popped the insulation free from the cable in a 3 inch section. It caused it to corrode the inside of the wire pretty bad, so i replaced the entire length of cable. I also found the factory quick disconnect between the battery and the fuse panel under the hood had become corroded also, so i replaced it also.

After i got everything reassembled, it fired right up. It is charging at a firm 14.59V. It is only dropping to 11.13V when the key is turned to the on position and drops to 10.38V while the starter is cranking. It is reliably starting on the 1 to 3 rotation.

Once i verified that it started and drove without issue for a couple days. I replaced both of the ground straps from the block to the body as the old ones were kind of frayed and completely soaked in oil due to previous owner letting the valve cover gaskets leak.

I want to thank you for your insight and pushing me to think of different tactics to use in diagnosing the issue. I will definitely recommend you and remember you if there is any issues i have in the future.

On an unrelated note, i have an easy question for you. Do you by any chance have the wiring diagram/color coding for the radio of this car? I will be replacing it with a different stock radio or an aftermarket one. The current radio deck is shot and when fully turned up is barely audible. Again thank you for all your help.

Sincerely,
Alan

P.S. I made this question, but if you want/can make it public for the radio wiring/colors. Feel free to do so.

Answer
Hi Alan,
That is great news that you found the problems. I do have the wiring diagrams for the radios but I need to know it you have the standard or the deluxe set up. The latter has a separate power amplifier, mores speakers, etc. I can copy the diagrams for the one that you have and send it by postal mail to you. Let me know your postal mailing address in a 'private' follow-up question.
By the way, you are entitled to do another 'thank/rate' the expert and also give me another 'nomination' for 'volunteer of the month, is you would be so kind.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston