Dodge Repair/auto trans replacement: quick learn procedure

Hi Roland, I have a 2005 caravan 3.8 lit my transmission is going bad..can I get a used trans and install it and plug and play or do I need to go to the dealer and have flashed. Thanks for ur time, Tom

Hi Tom:
If you replace the transmission with an identical unit then there is only one procedure called a 'quick learn'. If the internal pinion gear ratio is different then that would need to be changed using a diagnostic readout box, otherwise no 'flashing' is needed.
The quick learn is:
Make 15 to 20 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 upshifts. Perform these from a standing start to 45 MPH with a constant throttle opening.
Below 25 MPH make 5 to 8 wide open throttle kickdowns to 1st gear. Allow at least 5 seconds each in 3rd  and 2nd gears between each kickdown.
Check for any fault codes.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).