Dodge Repair/auto trans replacement: quick learn procedure

Question
Hi Roland, I have a 2005 caravan 3.8 lit my transmission is going bad..can I get a used trans and install it and plug and play or do I need to go to the dealer and have flashed. Thanks for ur time, Tom

Answer
Hi Tom:
If you replace the transmission with an identical unit then there is only one procedure called a 'quick learn'. If the internal pinion gear ratio is different then that would need to be changed using a diagnostic readout box, otherwise no 'flashing' is needed.
The quick learn is:
Make 15 to 20 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 upshifts. Perform these from a standing start to 45 MPH with a constant throttle opening.
Below 25 MPH make 5 to 8 wide open throttle kickdowns to 1st gear. Allow at least 5 seconds each in 3rd  and 2nd gears between each kickdown.
Check for any fault codes.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland  

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston