Dodge Repair/fuel delivery system 2001 Durango

Why when I run out of gas in my dodge durango. It will not run right until I fill it all the way up with gas

Hi Jason,
Sorry to say I haven't heard of that problem. I don't have a manual for the '01 Durango so I can't tell you for certain what the fuel pressure is supposed to be, which may be the issue here. So I would question what the fuel pressure reading is at the time when it doesn't run right.
However, if it runs right all the way down untill you are near empty then fuel pressure may not be the answer. There is a problem with the vapor recovery system that happens in the minivans only when they were filled to the top, but it sounds like your problem is the reverse of that.
In any case, the simplest solution may be to just go with filling it up when you need gas.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).