Dodge Repair/'01 dodge truck transmission seems locked up

what would make my 2001 dodge 3500 2wd 5.9l automatic trans kill engine when shifting to reverse or drive with foot on brake but wont die if I shift and push accelerator quick and once going can hit brakes and truck starts jumping please help!!!!!

Hi Brian,
It sounds like the torque converter lock-up clutch is not releasing when you are slowing down from a road speed high enough that it is activated/or some how it is being activated even though you have shut off the engine at rest. So when you start it is like you are starting in gear with the clutch engaged with a manual transmission.  I don't have the '01 truck manual, me earliest is an '04, but I could look at that to see how that clutch is wired. Do you happen to know which transmission number is in there?
Thanks for the rating and nomination, Brian.
PS: I looked at the '04 manual and it appears that the torque converter on both the possible transmissions do not have an electrically controlled clutch but rather an hydraulic clutch control. If I understand correctly it is possible that the hydraulic functioning may be impaired by some debris in the trans fluid that also passes through the converter. It wasn't specifically described as that being the cause of the problem, but you might inquire at a dealer whether there might be improvement of this situation if you tried a power flush-out of all the transmission fluid and then see if that fixed the situation. The converter appears to be a separate unit on the front of the transmission but to actually work on it you have to remove the transmission. Thus it might be an economical service to simply power flush the complete system and replace it with new fluid. But simply draining the trans fluid only removes about half of it, thus a power flush is what would be needed.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).