Dodge Repair/2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Shuts Off when warmed up

Question
Hello Roland
My 2001 Dodge Ram starts up promptly but after a few minutes starts to sputter and shuts off while in idle and sometimes while driving down the road. I was looking over my hoses & thought maybe they were not connected on or cracked. When I disconnect the PC valve hose it idles fine and runs smoothly but has a loud hissing sound and when I replace it it goes back to idling rough & shuts off. I recently replaced the entire motor due to blown head gaskets. Does the timing need adjusting possibly ? This is a used motor ( 120,000 miles) and may have been sitting up for a while in a warehouse. Could this be the problem or What ? Thank you so much for your help

Answer
Hi Eric,
The loud hissing sound is normal after removing the hose. Try taking off the other hose from the valve and then shake the valve to make sure the interior spring-loaded valve cylinder makes s rattling sound which indicates it is free to move (which is good). If there is no rattle, then replace the PCV valve.
The fuel/air mixture may be "off value" when warmed up as indicated that it idles when cold but then has the problem after warm up. There is self-diagnostic capability that you can access with the ignition key: turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window of the speedometer to see the mileage reading replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know the number(s) and we'll go from there. It may be that the engine temperature sensor is not getting a proper signal to the powertrain control module telling it to lean-out the mixture as the engine is warming.
The timing is not typically adjustable for engines with electronic rotational position sensors. So let us see what fault code numbers you might get.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston