Dodge Repair/Converting v8 to v10: Dodge Ram 1500

My rods began knocking in the engine today. I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 (st model) with a 5.7 liter V8 hemi. Im interested in putting the 8.3 liter v10 in my pickup. What exactly would i have to change to put this engine in?

Hi Brandon,
The V-10 is a larger engine, and the 1500 is the smallest Ram model.
I have the '04 Ram service manual which doesn't show the use of the V-10 engine as of that year although the SRT-10 was indeed introduced that year. I also have the '06 manual which does show the V-10 engine in use, and that manual also lists the frame dimensional sizes (which depend on the specific model) and of course would be the first question. The manual doesn't say if the V-10 was used in the 1500 model in '06. I don't have an '05 manual so can't be sure about that model year either.
You should go to and do a search "2004 Ram SRT-10" where you will find all the modifications that were involved when the engine was first used in the Ram in '04, but it still isn't clear if that involved the 1500 frame or the 2500 frame.
Was the V-10 ever installed in the 1500 in any year (if so when?), or was it installed in only the larger 2500 or 3500 models? It may be that your 1500 frame will not work with the V-10. I would suggest that you go to a dealer parts counter to see what they think might be the possibility of installing the V-10 in an '04 1500.
I don't know enough about the question of it fitting in, and of course there would be many other considerations as to which parts of the '04 running gear are acceptable and what modifications would be needed to mount the engine in your 1500 frame compared to a later model 1500 frame if that model ever was outfitted with a V-10. Let me know what you find out, please.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).