Dodge Repair/'02 Intrepid: 2.7L Alternator/P.S, Drive belt replacement

Question
QUESTION: How do you take off the tensioner pully to change the belt? I can't find an answer anywhere and I don't have a book?

ANSWER: Hi Alicia,
Which engine: 2.7L or 3.2/3.5L? and also which items are driven by the belt you want to remove?
It would be helpful for me to know which because there are two belts on each of the engines  and they differ as to the procedure for replacing the belt. The tensioner pulley may just have to be loosened rather than removed. So give me the specifics, please.
Roland

QUESTION: Its a 2.7 and the pully is for the alternator.  When it broke the car could still drive and air conditioning worked but the steering was very hard like it had no power steering. My bf is the one fixing it and found the problem. He went to get the parts now he just doesn't know how to remove that one part. I hope this helps?

Answer
Hi Alicia,
There is a nut and a bolt on the tensioner:
One on the shaft of the tensioner pulley itself is a locking nut which he should loosen, and then near the rear/top side of the pulley there is a bolt which when rotated will change the position of the pulley so the new belt can be inserted. The only specification of setting the belt tension involves the use of an accessory belt tension gauge, but I would believe that if the belt will deflect about 1/4" when pressed mid-way between the crank pulley and the power steering pulley that would be about the correct tension. Retighten the locking nut.
Thanks for the rating and nomination, and you can do both of those actions again at this time if you would be so kind.  
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston