Dodge Repair/Car won't start: '99 Concorde

Question
QUESTION: 1999 Concorde LXi. New battery, starter, alternator, spark plugs, fuel pump, crank sensor. If I spray starting fluid it will start. I was told that it could be the BCM under the dash. Engine light is on. Also only stays in Park. I was told a cable to the gear shift could have accidently been disconnected underneath while installing starter? I will really appreciate your opinion.

ANSWER: Hi Leon,
When you say only stays in Park, I assume that is when you have successfully started the engine, correct. And when that is the case, the shift lever will move but the trans does not disconnect the parking pawl and the vehicle can not be moved by hand, correct? If those are true then it may be that there is a problem with the gear shift connection to the transmission.
You can observe the transmission shift cable function where it is located on the driver's side of the transmission where it attached to a vertical rod about which a lever should move as a helper shifts the gear shifter in the cabin.
But setting that aside, on the starting problem have you tried to get fault codes? Turn the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer to see the mileage reading to be replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know that number(s) and we'll go from there. Tell me which size (L) you have.
Did you do all the parts replacements, or which were done by a shop?
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: At this time the battery is dead, unable to retrieve codes. MY engine size is  a 3.2L It may be a few days before I can get the codes. A person who I know did the parts replacements in my yard. I am no mechanic. My family and I have no transportation and we need this car running as inexpensively as possible. Hopefully you keep our correspondence on file. Thanks again Mr. Finston. I will get back with you ASAP.

Answer
Hi Leon,
I will await your determination of the fault code(s). Even though the battery voltage is too low to operate the starter it may be sufficient to power the engine control module and the instrument cluster. So give it a try to see if you might get the code readout to work at this point in time. Also, tell me about the transmission being in Park only.
Thanks for the rating and nomination which you are welcome to do both again for this answer.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston