Dodge Repair/Engine swap

Question
QUESTION: I am swapping motors in my 2003 ram 1500 and was wondering if a 4.7 out of a 2003 jeep grand Cherokee would work in my ram.

ANSWER: Hi Kyle:
Are they both 4.7 liter engines? If the 8th position of the VIN were an "N" in both vehicles then I would believe both are 4.7L and then they would interchange quite directly.

Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: They are both 4.7s and they both have four plugs into the computer. My only worries are if the transmission will bolt up the same and if they will electronically match up.
Thanks, kyle

Answer
Hi Kyle,
I would certainly believe that the engine electronics would be the same though I don't have the Jeep and Dodge '03 manuals to make a comparison between the Jeep and Dodge wiring diagrams as regards the "fine points" of any difference between the two engines. Were there any, it would probably be a matter of changin out a minor part. But if you keep the old engine until you check it out that would take care of that point. On the transmissions, are they the same transmissions in the two vehicles? If not, then you might do well to verify with a dealer parts counter that the interface between the engine and transmission would nonetheless be identical.
Thanks for the rating. If you would care to do it again only this time also give a "yes" for a nomination of me to be volunteer of the month I would be most appreciative.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston