Dodge Repair/Ticking soung/smoke from steering column:'04 Neon

Hello, when i started my car (dodge sx 2.0 2004) today there was a non-stop ticking sound and a small amount of smoke coming from the steering column. The smoke only lasted for about a min. What could this be and what would the cost of repair be? thanks for your time.

Hi Nicole,
There are many switches and wires that carry current on the steering column. My suspicion is that there was a short circuit which allowed current to flow directly from a 12 volt wire to  metal that was grounded (direct return of the current to the battery). That would overheat the wire and cause smoking. The clicking sound may have been the turn signal relay, so the turn signal wiring may be shorted out. The best way to tell would be to try every one of the switches/devices on the column to see if one of those is not working.
The most common wiring break down is a part called the "clockspring" which is a flexible connection between the column and the switches on the steering wheel (horn, airbag, cruise control, etc.) and any other switches on the steering wheel. So check all those devices for function or not, and notice if the airbag warning light on the instrument cluster is "on". Also try all the devices controlled by on levers of the steering column (turn signals, etc.).
Let me know what you learn and we'll go from there.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).