Dodge Repair/2010 grand caravan: tie rod replacement

Question
I plan on changing outer tie rod ends on a 2010 grand caravan and would like to know the torque specs for replacement. Also since there is no cotter pin on this part should I use loctite of some sort, and should it be removable or permanent loctite. Thanks for any help

Answer
Hi Ryan,
When removeing/installing the nut on stud end, grasp the stud with a pliers to prevent it from rotating.
The torque spec for the tie rod end to steering knuckle nut is 55 foot-pounds plug an additional rotation of the nut of 245 degrees after you reach the torque setting. The Jam nut on the tie rod is tightened to 55 foot-pounds with no additional turning. I believe the torque spec is sufficient to maintain the connection as no locktite on the threads is listed in the manual. When removing the old tie rods count the number of turns before it releases from the inner tie rod  and use the same number of turns when installing the new tie rod. This will return you to the approximate position needed to then set the toe-in.
You may need a tie rod removal tool to separate the tie rod stud from the steering knuckle.
Are you certain you need new tie rod ends as there is allow a vertical free play of the end of about 0.002 inches, measured with a dial indicator. Loosen the clamps on the rubber boots so as to prevent damage to the boots when rotating the rods to adjust toe-in.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland  

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston