Dodge Repair/A/C question 2003 intrepid -ES

a chemical type odor is randomly coming from my air conditioner vents.  i have 2003 dodge intrepid ES. It started about 3 months ago and has gotten more frequently.  it's a nauseating and sweet smell. no film on on wind shield.

Hi Faye,
Try smelling the fluid in the cooling system expansion bottle in the engine compartment to see if that has the same smell. I am not certain whether the AC systems's R-134 refrigerant would have that smell or not. My thought is that there is a cooling system leak in the heater core rather than an air conditioning leak. Have you noticed that the coolant in the expansion bottle has been disappearing? If so that would support my theory. Also if there is moisture on the carpeting under the dash that would be the leaked coolant.
If the AC stopped working then that would lean toward a refrigerant leak. You could ask at an AC shop for them to smell the odor and give you an opinion if you can't tell.
If that cooling system fluid turns out to be the odor, you could attempt to seal the leak with a chemical that you would put into the expansion bottle which when then drawn into the cooling system has the ability to plug up small leaks. One of the better brands is called "Bar's Leak". You would dilute it with water and add it gradually to replace the lost coolant until the leak is sealed. It is available at auto parts stores.
Otherwise unless the leak is at an accessible disconnector which simply needs to be tightened, for either the refrigerant or the coolant fluid, it means a removal of the entire HVAC housing under the dash to replace the leaky heater core or AC expansion part, and that is a big job which should be avoided if possible.
Let me know what you conclude and whether I can be of further help.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).