Dodge Repair/'96 ram van: headlamps won't turn off

QUESTION: I have a 1996 dodge ram van 2500 , 5.2 L , when I shut the van off the high beam indicator light stays on dim which in turn keeps running lights on ,only way to turn them off is to disconnect battery ,from my understanding it is very probable it could be the high beam running light module , or just running light module, could this be the problem or could it also be something else , if so , what does it look like and where would it be located on the vehicle.

Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Brad,
Unfortunately I don't have a shop manual for the 90's ram vans. My suspicion is that it has to do with the daytime running lamp module which in the '96 mini-vans was located in the junction block which is the fuse box under the dash. This would be applicable if you do have the daytime running lamp feature. So see if there is such a module plugged into that box (simply remove the modules (if any) one at a time to see if the lamps will then go off. I hope you will find such a module that when replaced will solve this problem.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

I did check that junction block earlier you are talking about and it
has a place for relay switch along with horn there were never any in there , the block only contains the emergency and signal flasher.
Kinda wondering if I was to locate a used relay and stuck in there if anything would happen (kinda have my doubts as there was never one before).
There has to be a drl some wheres. stupid question ,I read some wheres it could be the bulbs themselves???
Could I get your thoughts

Hi Brad,
I doubt it would be a headlamp bulb, or that there would be something that would solve it by insertion into the junction block-fuse box. The drl module was often positioned on the left side of the engine compartment fairly low on the inner fender itself (either side of that surface). So look in that area. I wish I had a manual for this.
PS Another possibility is that there is a short in the ignition switch which is falsely telling the DRL that the switch is "on". If there is a orange/black wire on the switch test it to be sure it is not showing 12v when the key is "off". The cue to the DRL is when there is 12v on that wire.  I am assuming that what you have "on" is the DRL when they should not be.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).