Dodge Repair/Blowing #35 Fuse on 2008 Ram 1500

My 2008 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Quadcab keeps blowing #35 fuse.  No cabin lights or dash lights.  New fuse blows while being installed.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Hi Mike,
That fuse supplies power to the instrument cluster on pins 25 and 26 of the white 26-pin plug at the back side of the cluster. You could begin by unplugging that white plug and then trying again to see if the fuse blows or not. If it does then the problem is along the wire from the fuse socket to the cluster, where there is one splice that splits the wire into the two wires, one going to each of the pins. If it doesn't blow then you would want to look at the place where the white plug socket attaches to the circuit board to see if there is a short there. If not, then because the cluster also is related to the cabin lights and under hood light and glove box light I would suggest that you remove all the interior light bults, reconnect the white plug to the cluster and see if the fuse blows. If it does then there might well be a problem inside the cluster. If it doesn't then I would start putting the bulbs back in the sockets one at a time until the fuse blows. Then that would identify where the short circuit is that blows the fuse.
Let me know what you learn.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).