Dodge Repair/Dodge Dakota V8 Laramie: Transmission

Question
Dear Expert,

I have a 2007 dodge dakota v8 laramie, automatic and I am having some trouble with shifting lately.  Everything was runnning fine but then suddenly it seems the truck won't shift into gear and the check engine light comes on.  I try to give it some gas but I won't shift or it shift irregularly. I usually then leave it parked overnight in my garage and the problem goes away but reappears after 2-3 days. Can you help me please?

Reagrds

Answer
Hi Jaime,
The best way to begin to solve the problem is to take advantage of the self-diagnostic capability that is built-in to the vehicle: get a Fault Code Readout using a plug-in code reader. There is a socket under the dash where a repair shop can plug in a code reader and request for what fault codes are stored in the transmission control module. The codes are 4-digit numbers preceded by a P. The charge to do this would be minimal, but it has to be done to know what the control module has noticed is not working. Then we can look up the details about that fault code number to find out what to do next. This is what to do in order to not waste money.
So go to a shop you trust or to a transmission shop you trust and ask for the fault code number(s), and when they tell you, ask what they mean, and what they recommend to do. Then write me back and we can compare what you were told to what is shown in the shop manual.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston