Dodge Repair/Dodge Dakota V8 Laramie: Transmission

Dear Expert,

I have a 2007 dodge dakota v8 laramie, automatic and I am having some trouble with shifting lately.  Everything was runnning fine but then suddenly it seems the truck won't shift into gear and the check engine light comes on.  I try to give it some gas but I won't shift or it shift irregularly. I usually then leave it parked overnight in my garage and the problem goes away but reappears after 2-3 days. Can you help me please?

Hi Jaime,
The best way to begin to solve the problem is to take advantage of the self-diagnostic capability that is built-in to the vehicle: get a Fault Code Readout using a plug-in code reader. There is a socket under the dash where a repair shop can plug in a code reader and request for what fault codes are stored in the transmission control module. The codes are 4-digit numbers preceded by a P. The charge to do this would be minimal, but it has to be done to know what the control module has noticed is not working. Then we can look up the details about that fault code number to find out what to do next. This is what to do in order to not waste money.
So go to a shop you trust or to a transmission shop you trust and ask for the fault code number(s), and when they tell you, ask what they mean, and what they recommend to do. Then write me back and we can compare what you were told to what is shown in the shop manual.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).