Dodge Repair/rebuilders for rack/pinion

Hi Roland,

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 2RWD quad cab that has a leaking rack.  While looking at the different companies that remanufacture racks, many do offer lifetime warranties on their parts.  But when it comes to selecting the right company, that has been a challenge.  I cannot tell from the different forums who is a shade tree mechanic (like myself) to professional mechanics.  So I am finding there is alot of personal evidence on which are bad companies. And every company is bad.

My goal is to replace the rack once and not have to do it every 6 months under warranty.

Ultimately,  if your dearly loved grandmother owned and drove this truck, who would you consider some of the better rebuilders?  I understand if you aren't comfortable with naming names. In that case, got any tips/things to watch for/questions to ask before buying?

Thank you so much for your time and input, it is greatly appreciated!

Hi Jason,
Sorry to say I have no experience with replacing that or similar parts to know which rebuilders to recommend. I would lean toward the manufacturer of the original unit, but then again it failed you. If you find a reliable recommendation please let me know.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).