Dodge Repair/'02 Ram 1500 SLT: dash board lights out

QUESTION: I noticed last night when I turned my head lights on I didn't have any dash board lights except the odometer was lighted.  Is this a blown fuse or?

ANSWER: What is the year of the vehicle?

QUESTION: I drive a 2002 Ram 1500 SLT, Quad Cab, short bed - middle size engine.

Hi Maryann,
The closest year manual I have is the '04. If your '02 is identical then it appears that the dash board lights (and by that do you mean everything from the cluster to the radio to the heater panel lights and also dome light, cargo light, funeral setting light, etc.?) are controlled by the headlamp switch and it allows you to choose from about 5 different light levels. Is that how yours works? The switch actually has 12 different positions in the '04 (headlights/park/lights, fog lights as well), is that like yours?
If so, then it is not a simple answer like a fuse. It turns out that the instrument cluster is a highly sophisticated and complex device. The requested dash light settings are not by a fuse just for that purpose and rather the requested levels are sensed as being different amounts of resistance in a wire that is called the panel lamps 'driver'. The two ends of that wire are on pins 6 and 7 of the headlamp switch and that includes all the other switch positions for cargo, dome, and funeral lights controlled by that switch. Have you also lost control to turn on the cargo, dome, and funeral lamps? If so, then I would check the connections of the wires on pin 6 and 7 of the headlamp switch, otherwise it is more complex a problem.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).