Dodge Repair/'04 Stratus no start

Question
I hit a deer doing about 60 in my 2004 stratus sxt 2.4l on the passenger front of the car. nno air bags deployed. i turned around and drove home about 10 minutes. I shut car off and spent the next 3 months ordering parts on ebay and replacing them. once i have all parts replaced i tried to start the car. It would turn over but would not fire. I tried this over a few days with one day spraying some starter fluid down air intake.. i would get an occasional fire but the car would just turn over. i havent tried anything over the past month. i have checked all the fuses.i have also spent countless hours googling this.

Answer
Hi Mitchell,
Try using the ignition key to get a fault code number readout from the memory of the engine control module which may have a clue about what is wrong. Turn the key "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window in the speedometer to see if the mileage reading is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you learn and we'll go from there.
If that doesn't work to get a fault code, then you will want to buy/borrow a fault code reader that plugs in under the dash in a socket near the steering column. You should be able to get one for under $40.
The only part you might check is the exhaust gas recirculation valve located at the right rear of the engine near the fire wall. It has a round vacuum-operated top piece, the body of the valve which is connected to a narrow gauge exhaust pipe that branches off the exhaust manifold, and between the body and the top there is a flange that conceals a valve stem. That stem has a circumferential slot into which you can insert the tip of a screwdriver you can then use to move the valve stem back and forth, against internal spring-action. Verify whether the valve is closing to a dead stop and if not then spray the stem where it enters the valve body and move the stem back and forth to loosen the action so that it closes firmly. Then see if it will start. A slightly ajar valve will lean out the mixture so much that it will not start and idle.

Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston