Dodge Repair/'05 Ram 1500 4.7L: crank sensor

Codes are telling me to change the crankshaft positioning sensor. I have and the truck will turn over but not fire. Even with the new sensor its still sending a code that the CKP is bad. Kinda lost now

Hi William,
The sensor may not be installed tightly. Remove and clean around the hole, then put little oil on the 0-ring, then insert with a slight rocking and twisting of the sensor. Then if it is flush with the block tighten the mounting bolt to 21 foot-pounds which is about the same as used for a spark plug. If the sensor is not close enough to the spinning disc on the crank shaft the signal will not be produced.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).