Dodge Repair/1991 Dodge D350 Diesel front hub

I have a 1991 dodge d350 1ton 4wd diesel. Replaced the wheel bearing about six months ago because there was a lot of slack in the passenger side front wheel. That seems fine now,however now when I lock the hub in for 4wd, it gets a squeal sound like metal on metal. Jacked front up and turn wheel by hand and it turns hard with hub locked and normal with hubs out. The sound is coming from the wheel, not the front diff. A little slack in ujoints but they seem ok. Not sure what to look for next. Any ideas what I might run into, I use the truck everyday to feed my cows so I am trying to research before I start tearing things apart.

Hi Neil,
I am not familiar with that front hub. I do only have truck repair manuals beginning in '04. Would you know which Model truck (Ram, Durango, Dakota, SRT-10) in that manual would be most similar to yours in that front hub respect and I can then check out the manual and see if I can find some pages to share with you and which I can send to you attached to an email.
Thanks for your understanding.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).