Dodge Repair/2012 Dodge Journey:cabin air temp control

i have a 2012 Dodge Journey.  "Can you help me in diagnoising my A/C?  Heat works great on both driver and passenger side.  Problem A/C is only working on driver side.  Passenger side blows out hot air only.

Thank you for any advice or help you can give me.

Hi Laura,
It sounds like there are separate temperature controls for the two sides so that each side can be controlled independently of the other. If that is correct, then there is an electrical control for each side which follows your request as to the temp for that side. The electrical control for temperature selection is called the "blend door actuator", so either that actuator for the passenger side has stopped working or possibly the door itself is stuck in the warm air only position. I don't have a manual for so new a vehicle as yours, but I would believe that the actuator is accessible from under the dash where it is mounted on the ventilation unit surface and thus can be removed and replaced and the door movement verified.
If you know someone who is mechanically inclined they could look underneath where there are probably 4 similarly shaped devices (the 2 actuators for blend air/mode of air which outlets/recirculation of air or allow outside air to come in) that are held in place with three screws. By turning on the unit with key in the "on" position those actuators can be touched by hand to feel which is for what purpose as you try the various settings on the control panel. Thus after identifying the passenger side blend air door actuator it can be removed and replaced.
A Dodge dealer is probably able to do this more easily than a non-dealer shop.
So ask the repair shop the cost of replacing the passenger-side blend air door actuatpr if you are going to hire it done. It should be less than one hour of labor time and the actuator should be about $25. If the door is binding up that could be a bigger problem as in that case the entire box under the dash usually has to be removed. So I hope it is simply the passenger side blend door actuator that is faulty.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).