Dodge Repair/dropped a key into steering column

QUESTION: my wife dropped a mail box key down the hole where the hole is at the steering wheel moves up and down how do I get it out is there a way the I can get into the valley

ANSWER: Hi James,
What is the year/model/body style of the Dodge?

QUESTION: it is a 2009 dodge grand caravan with a tilt steering wheel

Hi James,
I am not clear as to where exactly the key entered the column. I have an '06 manual and an '09 manual on CD's. The latter is extremely detailed to the point where it is confusing/repetitive and very 'wordy'. I can send you a page or two from the '06 that shows the column and you may be able to identify the location in question. Is it the housing that surrounds the column immediately in front of the steering wheel? If so that is the "shroud" area and it can be opened easily following the instructions on the pages.
If you tell me your email address I will be able to do that. When you tell me the address don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or the address will be erased automatically.
Other than the key being missing, has it impaired the steering column/steering function?

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).