Dodge Repair/5 speed manual hard to get in gear

2003 Dodge Dakota 4wd 4.7  5 speed manual transmission 92,000 miles
Have had clutch replaced 3 years ago and clutch master as well. When at a stop sometimes it is impossible to shift into gear from neutral.
So far I have been able to get it into gear by pushing the clutch in a second time and sweating a bit. Clutch and tranny work fine at speeds, and there is no grinding whatsoever. The clutch engages and disengages at the appropriate places. I might could add a little fluid, but it looks like there is enough in the reservoir. Might this be a linkage problem? Thanks in advance!

Hi Ben,
About the only simple linkage issue would be if the slave cylinder bolts (2) were loose in the clutch housing. So check those are tight to 20 foot-pounds of torque.
Other than that, if the fluid in the clutch master cylinder has gone done then there could be a leak in either the master or the slave cylinder or in the connection tube that connects them, so inspect for signs of any fluid loss. Then refill the master reservoir so you can then re-check it to see if any is being lost as you use the clutch. Don't disassemble the fluid line from the slave cylinder as it can only be connected once and you are sure that the slave is leaking and needs to be replaced.
Other than that there are a number of possibilities internal to the clutch itself but hopefully you will find a leak or loose bolts. I can copy pages from the manual if that is necessary to share with you by email directly.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).