Dodge Repair/ABS wire: '01 Dakota

Hi Roland-

2001 Dodge Dakota 4.7/Auto 4X4 with 4 wheel Anti-lock braking system.

Several weeks ago had the driver's side outside rubber boot replaced on the front half shaft as it had a hole and was leaking grease.

The clamp they had used (screw type) came loose and tore out the ABS wire from the brake all the way back to where I cant see behind the inner fender. Goes back to the shop tomorrow and would like to know where this wire runs to up under the inner fender and starts so I can double check their work to see if they replaced the whole wire to where it starts or just spliced it to where the wire is "good". I expect a all new wire from beginning to end but need to know what to look for.

Hi Jim,
In the Dakota manual for '04 which is probably identical as far as ABS goes to your '01 model,
the speed sensor on the left front wheel is connected with a twisted pair of wires colored red and red/dark blue that goes to the abs controller which in mounted above the master brake cylinder and has two black plugs. The twisted pair from the left front wheel go to pins 1 and 2 of the 4-pin plug (the twister pair from the right front wheel goes to pins 3 and 4 of that same plug). There are no disconnects along the way so it should be a solid twisted pair from the wheel to the anti-lock brake controller. There is no drawing of the pathway per se but knowing where it goes should allow you to trace it forward and down from the ABS controller to the inner fender.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).