Dodge Repair/'03 2.7L "out of synch" crank sensor?

I have an 03 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L V6. I'm getting an out of sync message for my crank sensor on the OBDII scan tool and no spark on #1 & #2 cylinder. Other than that, it's running ok. Any ideas?? I have replaced camshaft and crankshaft sensors, plugs, and coils.

Hi Brandon,
Can you tell me the exact name or the number of the fault code message? Do you mean P0016: "camshaft/crankshaft timing misalignment"?
If that is the case then I would re-check the installation of the cam and crank sensors. If either of them is not fully seated in its mounting and secured then its output pulses will be weak and then that result is a lack of synchronization of the two pulse signals from those sensors and that then causes no spark. Also check the wiring harness for each of the sensors for any sign of damage.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).