Dodge Repair/'88 5.9L Ram: charging system

I have a 1978 dodge ram power wagon with a 5.9 engine. 85,000 miles. I inherited this thing. problem I am having is the negative wire going to the gauge in the dash is getting hot. I changed the alternator. I am wondering if I need to change the regulator or sending unit if it has one. positive side works fine. any idea would help.

Hi Joe,
I don't have a wiring diagram so can't be specific about this problem.
I don't quite understand how the negative (grounding) wire for the dash gauge  is getting hot unless there is either:
too much current flowing through the gauge in the dash (in which case the positive wire would also be subject to heating unless it was a fatter wire) or the connection at either end of the negative wire were not clean and tight. How much current is showing on the gauge (or voltage if that is what it shows)?
I would check the negative wire for its connections, and if that doesn't solve it, then you could increase the size (thickness) of that wire.
Before changing the regulator it would be good to measure the voltage on the battery when the engine is running. Generally the voltage should be between 14 and 14.5 volts. If it is running higher than that then the regulator should be changed.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).