Dodge Repair/'04 durango 3.7: a/c compressor belt

Yes sir my a/c compressor went out and instead of replacing it right now I've been told I can bypass it with a shorter belt. Can i? If so what size belt?

Hi Jeremy,
Yes, no problem with not using it. If it is only making noise when it is activated you could eliminate that problem by simply disconnecting the electrical plug at the clutch of the compressor and that will prevent it from being connected to the pulley; doing that as an alternative to changing the belt.
If you want to by-pass the compressor pulley:
You could use a cloth tape measure to circle around the pulleys that are remaining to be driven and then bring the old belt and your measurement with the tape to a auto parts store to select a belt of the same diameter which measures the same as you got with tape measure. A dealer parts counter might also know what such a belt size would be for a 3.7 without a compressor.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).