Dodge Repair/'03 Ram power steering/brake drag problems

Question
I have a 2003 dodge ram 2500 4x4 w/ 5.9L Cummins. I started having problems with power steering one direction but not the other direction. Then no power steering either direction. Also having problems with the brakes not releasing properly. It's like the brakes are engaged all the time and will not release from the rotors. I have changed the calipers and the power steering pump which has not helped. Are these two problems related? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Answer
Hi Mark,
When you replaced the pump did you begin, after installing it,  by first turning the wheels all the say left, then fill the new pump with ATF+4 fluid (this is the only fluid to use in the system by the way). Then raise the vehicle front wheels off the ground and turn the gear from lock-to-lock 20 times and refill the fluid. Start the engine and let it run, check the fluid level. Finally lower the vehicle and test the power steering function. Does the fluid look normal or is it foamy or milky in which case it will need to be flushed which I can tell you how to do. Might the belt that drives the pump be slipping?
If some other fluid than ATF+4 was used it is possible that the steering gear has been damaged.
Are the brakes dragging on all 4 wheels? If so that can be due to a faulty return port on the master cylinder or a faulty power booster binding up/not releasing. Otherwise there are many reasons for individual wheels to bind up which I can list for you.
I don't see any relation between the steering and brake problems.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston