Dodge Repair/'96 Intrepid: check engine light 'on'

i have a 1996 dodge intrepid, 3.3, 4 door. the service engine soon light and cruise control light are flashing back and forth. car is running very rough when this happens. shut car off and restart, service engine soon light stays on but runs better. later the cruise light will flash again and run rough. any idea?

Hi Rob,
Try using the ignition key to get a fault code readout: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light which remains "on" to see if begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause.
Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Tell me the counts in the order of appearance and we'll go from there.
I am not familiar with the cruise light... do you understand what it might be "on" for, or "off" for.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).