Dodge Repair/Alternator wiring: '07 Ram

Changed alternator in 2007 dodge 1500 slt 5.7 hemi v8. The new alternator has a different plugin, I checked the spec for alternator, it's right one manufacturer changed the outlet from square plug to an oval. Where can I get a replacement plug? Or can I wire direct with clips? If so which color wire goes to which pin?

Hi Paul,
You might want to go to a dealer and determine whether indeed you have the correct alternator and plug. The '06 manual I have shows there to be only oval plugs, but there are different plugs depending upon whether it is for the SRT model or the usual NGC model, and there is also a difference in the pin assignments depending upon whether it is a diesel. I don't have the '07 wiring diagrams so can't be sure of your situation, but I suspect that the unit you got was not correctly identified as being for it. Dodge seemed to be in the "habit" of changing the specific plug for the alternator during the model year! In any case it is a two wire plug and one is for a ground (black wire, or black stripe wire) and one is for the field coil wire of the alternator (brown/gray for NGC or brown/dark green for the SRT). I would look at old unit if you still have it or try to figure out which socket goes to the field control and which is grounded. I would not wire it with clips but rather device some sort of a standard disconnecting type of plug connector. The best would be to return the alternator to where you bought it and get one which will mate with your present plug

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).