Dodge Repair/code P0207

Question
Hi Roland-

2001 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 engine.

Check engine light came on and the code came up as a P0207--#7 fuel injector malfunction.

Does this mean it is getting plugged or is the whole injector bad? I switched gas stations a couple weeks ago, could this be the issue?

Also I am starting my cycle of 7 workdays (then 4 off) with a 15 mile round trip to work. Could I continue to drive it until I can get it to a repair shop next week?

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
Hi Jim,
The code speaks strictly to the electrical circuit that operates the injector or the injector electrical behavior itself. It doesn't detect a plugged injector, so I doubt it has to do with the fuel. It would not likely be an issue that would require immediate intention. It will just reduce the power a bit.
You could inspect the wire harness that is connected to the cylinder 7 injector and if that looks alright then if you have an ohmmeter you could check the continuity of the injector plug pins to first, the automatic shutdown relay that provides it with 12v and second, to the pin at the engine control module which momentarily grounds the other end of the injector coil which allows the few to flow. If the wiring checks out, then replacing that one injector is the most reasonable repair to do.
Let me know if you want to check out the two wires and I will give you the details.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston