Dodge Repair/p0357 & p0356: '02 4.7L ram

Question
Hi, Our 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L 4x4 check engine light came on. The code reader said ignition coil/cylinder miss fire. We bought 8 new ignition coils and spark plugs,put them in and the check engine light came right back on, the code says ignition coil F and G primary and secondary circuit. Can you give any advice on what to do next?

Answer
Hi Jarred,
Those codes are for cylinders 6 and 7 and are listed as an issue with the primary circuit of the coils for those cylinders. The circuits are split into odd and even sides of the engine so I would assume the issue is confined to each cylinder separately, and separate from the other three coils on each side. All the 4 coils ahare a common 12v supply on a dark green/orange wire coming from a common splice, so verify that the coils in question have 12v when the engine is cranking over or running. Then check the coil "driver" wire for each of the coded coils checking for continuity between the coil's drive wire at its plug and the other end at the pcm. The driver for cylinder 6 is tan/light blue on pin 1 of PCM gray plug #2 while that for cylinder 7 is brown at pin 3 of black PCM plug 1.
I don't see any mention of the issue being with the secondary circuits for those codes but you have new coils so it would not be likely the issue.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston