Dodge Repair/Steering Wheel Alignment

Roland,we do not have a Dodge vehicle but would like to ask a general mechanical question. If a vehicle, in this case a 2011 KIA Sorento, had a ball joint replaced would that cause the Steering Wheel to be out of alignment? Thank you for any information you may be able to provide regarding this question.

Hi Mike,
Any joint replacement that involves the front suspension parts is likely to cause a noticeable affect on the steering (probably the toe in). So if you notice it pulling to one side or the other or the steering wheel is not centered when your are going straight then that would be a sign that you would want to get the steering alignment checked and adjusted. The tolerances are very specific (tight) and it is unlikely that a part replacement (other than a shock absorber) will be in exactly the same location as the one that was removed. So adjustments are the necessary consequence. If you want to try the toe-in yourself it is possible to do that with the help of another person and the use of a tape measure. It may be the only adjustment that can be done on the car; see if you can get the alignment specs from Autozone or similar auto parts store on-lin

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).