Dodge Repair/AC/Heater Fan Speeds: '08 Caliber

I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber R/T with a 2.4 engine (4 Cylinder).  My problem is that when I turn heater/ac fan on to a speed it will run for a time and then shut down.  I will than turn it off for awhile and it will start back up again when I turn it back on.  Now it seems that it is stuck on the very lowest speed there is.  What can it be that is causing the fan speed to shut down?

Hi Butch,
I am not certain what is not working in your blower circuit. It could be the 'resistor block' which is a string of three resistors that provides the three lower speeds of the blower and usually when one of those resistors blows out you will only get the highest speed blower operation, rather than the lowest speed. But you are getting the reverse. The other possibilities are that the switch inside the control panel has gone bad or the blower motor itself will not turn any faster than the slowest.
Are you certain is it blowing at all?
The blower motor is on the underside of the HVAC housing under the dash and at the very far end of that toward the passenger. Locate the round air intake for the blower on the underside and listen and or feel for the blower to be sucking air into the blower.
If it does, then the fuse is OK and if not then likely the fuse is blown.
Let me know what you find to be the situation. This is strange as I said above.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).