Dodge Repair/high idle apeed

Question
I have a 2008 dodge ram 1500 5.7 motor, automatic transmission, my problem is that every time I start the engine it goes into high idle. It does it all the time even when the engine is up to temp. When engine is cold it will stay on high idle for a couple of minutes, when it is up to temp it stays on high idle for only a minute. This happens in winter or summer, once I put the engine in drive the high idle goes away.

Answer
Hi David,
The idle is controlled by an automatic idle control valve located in the throttle body. That control may be gummed up. You could check that out by doing a fault code readout. Try turning the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage reading changes to show a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you find. If that doesn't work, then often a nationwide auto parts store will often do a readout with a plug-in reader for free (e.g. Autozone) or an independent shop may charge $40 to do it. If the code points to the idle control I can send you a page that shows where it is and you can remove it and clean it and the inside of the throttle body which is a good preventive maintenance anyway.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston