Dodge Repair/2002 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7L

Question
Last night the ABS and BRAKE warning lights on the dash came on and the speedometer quit working.  The brakes seem to be working ok and the engine runs ok down the road.  The engine tends to die when I am coming to a stop or slow down to turn a corner.  I checked all the fuses and they appear to be ok.  Where do I go from here?

thanks
Mike H.

Answer
Hi Mike,
I don't see a common explanation for your observations. I would first verify the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoirs.
The speedometer could have quit for a variety of reasons from the cluster, to the data communication system, to the output speed sensor on the transmission (which transmission do you have?). You can check the cluster by doing a self-test for error codes. Push and hold the trip odometer reset button, then turn the ignition switch to the "run" position, then release the trip odometer reset button. Then watch the cluster go through a series of tests, and finally observe carefully what shows up in the odometer window and write down everything that appears there.
On the engine die off, check the exhaust gas recirculation valve which is at the far end of a small diameter pipe that branches off the right side exhaust manifold and is routed toward the throttle body. When you find that valve locate the valve stem which is hidden behind a flange that separated the valve body from the vacuum-operated top piece. Spray some WD-40 or similar lubricant on the valve stem where it enter the valve body. Then move the valve stem back and forth with the tip of a screwdriver inserted into the slot that circumscribes the valve stem so as to loosen up the valve action so that it closes tightly by means of the internal spring-action. That may cure the die off.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston