Dodge Repair/'96 318 won't go above 3,000 rpm

Question
Hey i just bought a dodge 1500 1996 with a 318 it has almost 280k on the motor any ways it won't go over 3000rpms and if i floor it it stalls and its automatic .. do i need to reprogram it or what could be up thanks

Answer
Hi Mitchell,
Try to get a fault code by using the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on", to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Then tell the counts in the order of appearance.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston