Dodge Repair/engine swap

Question
I have a 1997 dodge Dakota slt 5.2 318 good motor and a 1997 dodge ram 1500 slt 5.9 360 bad motor will they do a direct swap

Answer
Hi Randy,
I am not personally familiar with the details of such a swap but I have verified that in the Ram line the 5.2 and 5.9 engines were both used as shown in the '95 (Mitchell manual) and '01 model (Dodge manual) wiring diagrams and vehicles. In the '01 the wiring diagrams for the engines are identical, while in the '95 there are separate diagrams for the 5.2 and 5.9 engines but I haven't gone over the pages to see in what way they are different at all. As to all the mechanical match-ups I have no way of knowing the inter-changeability so you might start at a dealer parts counter to see what their parts catalog shows. The PCM's are probably nearly identical but there are some program adjustment that would have to be make, or you could use the PCM for the engine that you are swapping out.
Roland  

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston