Dodge Repair/AM/FM/cassette to AM/FM/CD

Hi Roland-

I have a 2001 Dakota club cab, 4.7/Auto 4X4 with a factory AM/FM/cassette.

Neighbor has a wrecked 1998-2004 Chrysler Concorde (he thinks it is a 1998 but would have to dig the title out) that his brother-in-law was going to fix up. 3 years have passed with no work on it so he told his B-I-L he was going to junk it and the B-I-L agreed. It has a AM/FM/CD player and he would let me have it if I removed it before he hauls the car away.

I would like to upgrade my pick-up to this, is it a direct plug-in? Would I need to worry that my body control module (BCM) or something else would not recognize it a nothing would work?

Hi Jim,
While the radios are of a similar vintage so many of the wiring concepts are similar, the individual wire assignments to the plugs are different so that it would not be a direct plug-in but rather involve changing the wire connections to either the existing plugs in the truck radio or the plugs in the car radio (although it appears that the plugs are similar and may fit in the sockets, the wires are not arranged identically). So you would want to have both year wiring diagrams and plot out how you would re-arrange them, then cut and splice.
I have the '01 Ram manual on a CD and could copy those and attach them to a email I would send to you directly, while the '98 Concorde diagrams would he copied from my paper manual and postal mailed to you.
So think about whether you want to do the project and let me know if you do.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).