Dodge Repair/Ignition to Power Windows

Question
Kevin, I have a 2005 Ram 1500, 4.7L quad cab, where the power windows quit working. I checked the fuses and wiring/circuit breaker which is all okay. I purchased a Dorman window switch for the drivers side and they still did not work.  I can figure it out.  I know that from the ignition when the key is in the ACC or Run position the wiring should be hot to the window switch, but it wasn't.  I held the drivers window switch to the down position and started twisting and turning the key in the ignition and found a "spot" in ACC mode where the window started getting power and moving down. But when I let go of the key the power is out again. Of note, my ignition key can be pulled out while the truck is running, it is that worn out.  My question is: What component in the steering column controls the power to flow to the window switch? Is it the whole ignition switch or just the key lock cylinder or ??????

Thanks for your help.

Joe
Fort Campbell, KY

Answer
Hi Joe,
There are 7 sections of the ignition switch and the one for the windows takes current from the circuit breaker coming in on pin 12 and in the 'run' and 'acc' position of the switch sends it out on a pink/yellow wire on pin 10 of the switch to the driver door window switch. You might try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in the switch to see if that restores the internal contacts but if not then replace the switch. The key lock cylinder issue would be separate from the internals of the switch.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston