You are here:

Dodge Repair/Transfer Case change out


Is it possible for me to switch out my 244D (AWD) transfer case on my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7L) with a 242 (2WD) transfer case? If so, are there any big problems that could happen that I should be aware of?

Hi Devin,
I must admit that I am not familiar with the use of transfer cases and therefore can't anticipate how that switch might affect the operation of the vehicle. You might want to verify that the 242 was used in an '04 5.7L Ram 1500 and if so then going to the dealer parts counter you might then see what difference it made in associated parts. I don't see that the 242 listed as in use in the '04 shop manual.

Dodge Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roland Finston


Get a Free Fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or briefly unavailable so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2012 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.


Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

Awards and Honors
"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).

©2017 All rights reserved.