Dodge Repair/'99 Durango popping sound when turning

Question
QUESTION: Good afternoon.
I hear a popping noise every time I turn left in my Dodge Durango.  It is a 1999 4X2 model.  I had a mechanic friend check the front end and he said everything seemed ok.

ANSWER: Hi George,
If the vehicle has front wheel drive capability about the only thing I can suggest since it is associated with turning is that one of the constant velocity joints on either drive shaft is worn out or run dry of grease. Try to listen to determine which side the sound is coming from then closely examine the 2 joints on that side to see whether there is a torn boot or evidence of grease thrown out of the boot on the body part directly above the boot. You didn't describe the sound: a single pop or a recurring multiple pops but the latter is typical when the joint has run dry due to a boot tear.
Roland

QUESTION: Thank you very much and I will try to describe in more detail below.
The vehicle doesn't have front wheel drive and is not an all-wheel drive.  The sound is coming from the left-front (Driver's side of vehicle) and is always a single loud pop; not a series of pops.

Respectfully
George

Answer
Hi George,
My first thoughts are that the wheel nuts may be loose or that the wheel bearing is either loose to worn. Check the nuts and then try push-pulling on the top edge of the tire from side to side. Ideally you will be able to replicate the noise that way. Finally lift the wheel off the ground and try push-pull again. Beyond that the possibilities are loose control arm bushings, loose sway bar attachments, loose front strut upper mount.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston