Dodge Repair/1997 Ram 1500 5.9ltr slt won't start when engine is hot

Question
I have a 1997 Ram 1500 5.9ltr SLT 4x4. It starts and runs fine from cold, but if you try to restart it when the engine is hot it will not start. You have to wait till it has cooled down again. I just replaced the crank shaft position sensor, but that didn't fix the issue. Any ideas?

Answer
Hi Rif,
Try to get a fault code readout using the self-diagnostic capability. Turn the ignition switch: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the "check engine" which remains "on" to see whether it begins to flash, pause, flash, etc. If so count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. If that doesn't happen at all then instead watch to odometer window in the speedo cluster to see if the mileage is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by P. Let me know that instead.
'97 was the transition year for OBD-I to OBD-2 so the exact way the codes will readout is uncertain. But one way or the other if there is a fault code you'll learn what it is.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston