Dodge Repair/'89 3.0L: hard starting/hot or cold, no codes

I have a 1989 Ply.Voyager SE with a 3.0L engine.
I have two problems but I think they may be related to each other.
The first problem started about a year ago, after the engine has reached operating temp. and you shut it down then restart within 15 minutes she will fire right up,but if you say wait 1 or 2 hours, she will turn over but will not start, at this point if you turn the key off then try again she will start stumbling a little then smoothing out.
Now on cold start she is starting rough and will not always go into high idle, the idle does smooth out in 30 seconds or so but if you don't give her 5 minutes or so before accelrating she will stumble 2 or 3 times then again smooth out.
She runs good once past either point, including idling, I have checked for codes and found none, weather does not seem too be an issue either, I am leaning toward the EGR valve, but not sure.
Please excuse any spelling errors.

Hi Lonnie,
What you describe certainly could be the result of an egr valve which is gummed up and not closing tightly when the engine is shut off. Try spraying some WD-40 on the stem of the valve where it enters the valve body and then use the tip of a screw driver inserted in the slot of the valve stem to move the stem back and forth. Internal spring-action should close the valve to a dead stop. Your inclination to suspect the egr is appropriate.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).