Dodge Repair/'12 Ram 1500/ 4.7L : loss of power/squeal

I have a high RPM, (approx. 3000 to 3500 is where it starts) squeal with loss of power while driving. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Hi Eddie,
Loss of power and squealing are difficult to diagnose at a distance. But chances are good there is a fault code stored in the memory of the engine controller. I am not sure about a 2012 model but do try for self-diagnostic readout using the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage reading is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. If so let me know what it is and we'll go from there. If that doesn't work then often a nationwide auto parts store, such as Autozone, will do that for free.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).