Dodge Repair/'92 3.3L minivan:White fusible link blown

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I have a 1992 dodge grand caravan 3.3ci that the fusible link under the hood that ties into the ignition system, and the auto shut off relay melted, causing no spark, and no fuel. What would cause this to melt?

ANSWER: There are several fusible links, some in series with one another, so can you tell me the color of the fusible link that that melted? Also, which engine do you have (L)?
I have the '93 and '91 manuals so will look at both to get an idea of what could cause this to happen. Something shorted to ground no doubt to blow the link and I'll be able to tell you what items are supplied by the link once I know its color.
Roland

QUESTION: There is a white and red one together, the white one melted, and the red one seems ok. The engine is a 3.3

Answer
Hi Brian,
The '93 manual applies to your '92.
There is one white fusible link in the wiring diagram (14 gauge) and it is "fed" by a red link that is 10 gauge (carries more current than the white).
The downstream end of the white fusible is spliced into a number of red/white wires which feed:
the automatic shut down relay which in turn powers the fuel injector rail (dark green/orange at fuel rail), and the heated oxygen sensor,
the fuel pump relay which then powers the fuel pump (dark green/black wire at fuel pump) relay,
the transmission control relay which (red wire at trans relay (center of dash panel) then powers the trans solenoids, and
a red/white wire at pin 3 if the engine control module that .
My first suggestion is that you check the four very fine wires at the heated oxygen sensor located at the center if the exhaust manifold on the rear side of the engine where there is a dark green/black wire that is carrying the current coming from the white fusible link to the sensor. It may well be that the fine wire has broken and is grounded which then overdraws the white fusible.
If you have an ohmmeter check that it isn't showing a dead short to ground.
If that is o.k. then the other wires listed above will have to be similarly tested to see if you can find one whose red/white (or other color listed) wire shows a short to ground.
Removing such a short and replacing the white fusible should restore everything.
Thanks for the rating and nomination.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston