Dodge Repair/dodge ram 1500 rough idle and stalling when stopping

QUESTION: 2002 dodge ram 1400 4.7 idling around 500-600 and stalling also stall when stopping. Replaced I.A.C. and throttle body.

ANSWER: Hi Eric,
My first suggestion given those symptoms would be to clean/lubricate the exhaust gas recirculation valve as when it fails to close tightly (when stopping) it will lean out the mixture so as to cause a rough idle/stall the engine. I'll check the manual to be sure you have an egr and get back to you if I don't find one for that '02 engine.

QUESTION: Does not have an EGR

ANSWER: Correct. I just revised my answer to your earlier question. So take a look at that.

QUESTION: So just to follow up I did not see your revised answer but as I said no egr valve on 02 rams. Low idle and stalling when in park and stalling and surging when driving or stopping.

I suggested that you do a fault code readout using the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on", doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to  see if the mileage is replaced by a 4-digit fault code preceded by a P. Let me know and we'll go from there.
You could also try very short bursts of starter fluid on the same hoses/devices operated by the hoses to see if you detect an improvement in the idle at any point.

"done" means no codes are detected. In that case I can only suggest that you check over the vacuum hoses shown on the diagram (underside of hood) to see if you can find any cracked hose/loose fitting that would leak air into the intake system.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).