Dodge Repair/'89 Dakota 4x4 runs awful when cold

Question
1989 Dodge Dakota 4x4, 3.9 liter w/ 65K miles. Owner before me let the truck sit for long periods. Whenever it's really cold or below zero which is typical in Iowa, it just runs really crappy. Won't pull hills. I've done so much it would take a long time to list. I was just wondering if you've heard of this problem in these trucks.

In advance thank you

Answer
Hi Randy,
No I haven't. Have you tried getting a fault code readout using the ignition switch?
Turn it: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time.
Then watch the check engine light, which remains 'on', to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Then tell me the counts in the order of appearance and we'll go from there.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston