Dodge Repair/'89 Dakota 4x4 runs awful when cold

1989 Dodge Dakota 4x4, 3.9 liter w/ 65K miles. Owner before me let the truck sit for long periods. Whenever it's really cold or below zero which is typical in Iowa, it just runs really crappy. Won't pull hills. I've done so much it would take a long time to list. I was just wondering if you've heard of this problem in these trucks.

In advance thank you

Hi Randy,
No I haven't. Have you tried getting a fault code readout using the ignition switch?
Turn it: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time.
Then watch the check engine light, which remains 'on', to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Then tell me the counts in the order of appearance and we'll go from there.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).